POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation : Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:13:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrinkle free 3 point patch -or- Jpatch anticipation
From: sascha
Date: 28 Jul 2003 14:33:48
Message: <3f256c8c@news.povray.org>
You're right and I'm aware of this problem. I've taken two different
approaches to this problem for the next version of JPatch:

1)
Subdivide a 3-sided patch into 3 4-sided patches (like 5-sided patches
will be subdivided into 5 4-sided patches). The new patches are formed by:

* computing the center of the patch.
* deCasteljau'ing the edges
* Connecting the center with the mid-points of each edge

This works more or less for 5-point patches (I still have some minor
discontinuity problems, I think this is because the 5-point-patch is
somehow "overconstrained" and it's not clear to me how to exactly
compute the center-point - suggestions are appreciated :-)
This works too for 3-point patches which connect only to 4-point patches
but causes hughe problems when two 3-point patches meet.

2)
sPatch places two corner-points (and their tangents) at the same
position - this of course makes it impossible to calculate the surface
normal of this corner - when triangulizing the patch two triangles will
have bad normals resulting in visible artifacts (REYES is more robust
because it will subdivide until the triangles are smaller than a pixel,
but POV has problems when the u/v_steps setting is too low).
I tried to place this two corner points not on the same point but move
one slightly away - this seems to work well (no more discontinuities or
artifacts), but I'm not sure if it will make troubles with U/V mapping -
I haven't implemented u/v mapping yet so I have to try it later...

Your approach with triangulizing natively and exporting the
triangle-mesh is an option too - if you've got an implementation let me
know, I can easily integrate it into JPatch...

I'll do some tests with bezier-triangles too, but these will also have
to be exported as triangle-meshes...

-sascha